Fateful - Claudia Gray 4 Wow Stars!

Although CG notes that she researched the Titanic while writing Fateful, at some point she choose to deviate from historical accuracy and chose a more practical route supernatural—drama. CG gives us for example in her Author notes, “Myriam would almost certainly have boarded the ship at Cherbourg rather than Southampton; servants traveling in third class was so unheard-of that I’m sure Tess’s handy key was unheard-of too; and the Titanic had no “seventh officer.” Rather than fictionalize the life of an actual officer aboard the ship, I chose to invent George Greene and his position onboard. In fact, I worked around real individuals on the ship as much as possible.”
CG goes on to state that, “Writing a big paranormal romance set amid a real disaster would have felt disrespectful if that story were not firmly and totally a fantasy, one that didn’t make claims about the behavior, motives, and culpability of anyone actually onboard.”
A decision that I am sure to this day; she has left her no regrets. CG does however have a few real-life passengers make a cameo in the book. CG states that designer Thomas Andrews served as an unofficial advisor. She also states that there were some historical points that, despite all her research, she could never clarify and couldn’t find solid answers, so she made her best guess. A more interesting fact that CG shares with us is, “Moorcliffe and the Lisles are fictional as well, but Tess’s life as a servant is not exaggerated. Everything from her bad mattress and the frozen water in her morning basin to the lack of electricity and plumbing in the servants’ quarters is historically accurate.” CG finally states; “I first conceived of this book while visiting the traveling exhibition of Titanicartifacts in New York City.” CG found that she had a newfound enthusiasm and soaked up as much detail as she could before adding it to the book.

Wow!! When I started Fateful, I had no idea what it entailed. I never bother to read the category; it was a chance to read and express my voice and/or excitement about what I was reading with in a small group. The opening drove me nuts. Written in the first person point of view it took CG until chapter two let the reader know whom POV we were reading. Nevertheless, CG managed to shock me in many ways. First, leading the reader on with a description of a man with too-pale skin and then having him vanish much too fast. It leads the reader into thinking vampire. Then CG surprises you with a wolf in the city that is chasing after Tess. After this CG lends another shock as the servant girl a boards the Titanic with her (finger quotes) **masters**.
However, this is not where the story begins. A mystery, full of tender moments unravels its self as you read. The characters are well rounded and full of life. You will find yourself wrapped in the fictional life of Tess and all those who surround her on her maiden voyage. As dreadful as everyone (I mean anyone with an ounce of heart.) will find some characters, light is shed on their behavior. Soon you find yourself sympathizing nevertheless, in the end a tiger never changes it stripes. Despite the fact, some characters are vile; you will find your self-loving others.

CG did an excellent job weaving this story together and if fail to stick with the book and hold out you will miss and in creditable original story that will leave wanting just a little more….