Darkfever  - Karen Marie Moning Dark Fever: Book 1 "Fever Series"
Star stats:
Jaded Adult:
4 Stars
Forever Young: 5 Stars

First off, I loved the cover art to Dark Fever! Karen Marie Moning nailed it. Even before reading I was intrigued. A lone female standing in the center of a cobblestone circle surrounded by a mysterious fog mist. From 6:30 to 7:30 both am and pm, I was glued to pages trying to take as much in as possible.

Sometimes you have to get the ending out first because that is what keeps you inclined to reading. How I love Moning old school appeal to writing when she left us with the classic cliff hanger. Many authors today give the readers of today more and more, epic type stories, because that is what we demand. So very few are willing to take the old school stand and the epic tale build. I for one salute Moning for the classic cliff hanger and can't wait to dive into book 2 Blood Fever of this series.

Mac’s life is great. She has the good friends, a decent job, and a car that breaks down only every other week or so just like mine. In other words, she could be me or any other woman. When Mac's sister is murdered, leaving a message on her cell. Mac ventures to Ireland to light a fire under the Dublin britches to find her sister murder or she will not stop until she does.

Along the journey Moning trusted Mac in a realm where she can't tell good from evil?? Sounds just like everyday life, right? Not exactly. Mac learns that she has a gift that allows her to see things that others can't.

In my opinion you have two types of young adult books. You have the ones that are written by middle age people who have become jaded by life to remember what it was really like to be seventeen or twenty-two. Then you have ones written by people who for one reason or another can recall that being twenty is just as confusing as being eighteen. Moning falls in the later, able to grab hold of that teenage awkwardness that doesn't seem to pass until your mid-twenties and land it smack dab on her characters.

Being in my mid-thirties, I find Morning characters a little on the immature side. But as my daughter pointed out, I must be much too old to remember what it's like to be young.

In a way she is correct, not that I am too old, but I have been jaded by my life experiences and just expect more maturity out of people and the characters I read. All that aside I did enjoy the book. And can't wait to jump into book two to see what happens between Mac and Barron.