Beautiful Darkness - Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl

3 Better Stars

The Caster Chronicles 1-3 Collection

Lissa’s Second Hardest Review Ever

As hard as this series is for me to read I have to admit that book two was much better than boon one. I managed to finish it in 15 hours verses the 21 hours it took me to read book one. Just like the first book as things started to escalate the author would slam on the brakes and fill the pages with repetitive hints of chapters past. Apparently, the author think people reading her books are idiots. After reading the first two books I think it would have been better if the author cut most of the weight out of both books and combined them into one. Just as in book, one I had a hard time keeping myself focused on the book. The story line was better drafted and tried to draw me— almost successfully. However once again I found the authors slamming on the breaks. I also had a better time seeing some of the characters and feeling for them. I was shocked to learn that Macon’s Janie was Ethan’s mom. However, I expected to find out that Ethan was Macon’s son due to Ethan’s abilities and was elated to find out I was wrong.

None of the characters captured me whole heartedly thus far. I am not even sure half the time if I have, their names correct without having to check back through the kindle. Nevertheless, if I had to pick one favorite character it would be the sister’s. I know they were just a filler part but they had me cracking up. I love it when old people are funny.

None of the characters captured me whole-heartedly in book one that changed for book two. The way the authors weaved the love story of Macon and Janie left me puzzled; asking will there ever be a way for them to be together again with magic? In addition, Link and Ridley grew on me and with the changes both of them will be facing in book, three has me speculating where the story will lead.

Which is what I think, the author was hoping for her readers due to the ending. That said, the series is getting much better. I honestly can’t wait to see where the authors are taking the story.