Shiver - Maggie Stiefvater

Read again from December 01 to 31, 2011

I was fortunate enough to make the cut for reviewing this book for the Books 4 Review Club and in no way does it affect my review…

It has been a while since I had originally read Shiver I loved the book it was amazing! It was a book filled with pages of enticing, forbidden love between a wolf and human. I recalled the love that Sam and Grace had for one another it made me cry. I remember it made me want to believe in love again.

When my reading club moderators announced that we would be reading The Wolves of Mercy Falls Series, I was ecstatic. I had always wanted to share the story with my daughter and luckily she was now eleven and we could share the story together.

Unfortunately, reading Shiver with my daughter did not go as well as I had anticipated. Instead of her falling madly in love with the book as I had with the book the first few pages; I was bombarded with question after question.

She has asked so many questions that I really could not answer without giving away the story. Though I enjoyed reading, the book again alongside my daughter, I saw the book in a completely new light. Grace’s love for Sam the wolf and Sam the wolf as well as Sam the young man confused my daughter.

I had never noticed that Shiver’s supernatural story line skirted a thin line with bestiality. Not wanting my daughter to broach the subject of bestiality with my eleven-year-old daughter I was quick to make the choice of revealing to her that when Grace was bitten she too was changed into a werewolf that has never shifted, so it is the wolf within her that is attracted to Sam the wolf. Though Grace never crossed the line with Sam the wolf, it was evident that throughout the story from beginning to end that Grace’s love for Sam, transcended the beyond that of animal or human.

We both love the tenderness of both Sam and Grace. However, as the story unfolds, Grace and Sam explore their feelings for one another as the tension in the small town of Mercy Falls grows when the attack of a fellow classmate puts the town on edge and Sam in danger.

It took me more time explaining the story to my daughter than it did reading so, that she would understand the authors frame of mind for her characters. I know it has a rating of ages 12-17. However, I would not allow my daughter to read this on her own nor in the accompany of her ill informed friends. It can raise questions that parents should take the time to answer. I am in my 30’s and I love the book; though I feel the age range should be raised from 12 and up to 16 and up. Only because by age 16 most children who have not had the facts of life talk with their own parents should have had sex education in the public school system.